Friday, January 31, 2014

ALIKA Y NUEVA ALIANZA-Dejalo Gyal/Galang (Sabor Discos, 2013)

I've first met Alika back in 1995 and she was the very first female artist I interviewed. Back then, if you asked me, I would've never, in a million fucking years guess that she would end up turning into a transnational sensation and she'd be the one, of all the kids my generation staring with hip-hop in the mid nineties, who would be making a living of her music eighteen years later.
But there she is, she just dropped a really dope album that's equal parts dancehall reggae, hip-hop and ñu-cumbia and it includes "Jengibre" one of my favorite songs of 2012.
This is a 7'' single a French record label released last year with one of her earlier reggae hits on the b-side and her ñu-cumbia with Dawn Penn from her latest album as the main attraction. I played it at my last gig and it was an instant hit. You can order the vinyl here. Digital album here.

No comments: