Thursday, October 24, 2013

SETENTA-Latin Piece of Soul (Hot Casa Records, 2013)

I liked their first album a lot so I had big expectations for this one. Setenta is a French band of retro-Latin Soul formed by several musicians from different bands as a side-project and together they play some amazing music, but I always leave with the feeling that there's something missing that I can't quite point out. They definitely have skills and put their soul in the music, the arrangements are top-notch and the lyrics are basic, but not bad. Still, I don't know, sometimes they sound too soft to me, too dangerously close to background music. I wish they put more power into their recordings, more balls, they sound too delicate and elegant but fail in rushing people to the dance floor the way this music is meant to. I play it while I cook and it's perfect. I always carry their records with my in my bag and I rarely play them in my set, unless it's for warmup. I don't know, maybe that's just what they're aiming for. This new double LP includes a couple of odd covers, one of Nirvana's "Smell Like Teen Spirit" that will definitely get some chuckles form the crowd and one of Busta Rhymes that barely resembles the original, which in this case is a good thing. You can buy it HERE.

No comments: