Wednesday, October 30, 2013

CHICO TRUJILLO-Gran Pecador (Barbes Records, 2013)

I love Chico Trujillo. I've said it many times and I'll say it again, they give the best live show in the whole cumbia universe so I'll never get tire of going to their concerts.
That being said, I have mixed feelings about this new album. I mainly bought it because it's released on vinyl and I wanted to support, but to be honest, the best two tracks were already released on vinyl in 7'' format a year ago and I could do with just those two.
Don't get me wrong, there are still plenty of decent moments that deserve a spin, the whole A side falls under this category. The B side, however, with the exception of the track they did in collaboration with Chile's cumbia legend La Sonora Palacios, was rather disappointing. First they try to do some Mexican ranchera or something (a major no-no in my book) and then they go into even muddier territory with some folkloric zamba. Their cover of "Linda Secretaria" is ok, but unnecessary, I rather play Mike Laure's version.
Overall, aside from the title track, the album doesn't provide any other of those classic Chico Trujillo anthemic moments that drive the crowds wild in their shows. I wish Barbes had released their previous album on vinyl instead of this one, that one included all the classics that are mandatory in any Chilean party and are, unfortunately, unavailable on vinyl. Still, like I said, it has my support and if you haven't done so yet, I suggest you buy your copy HERE.

No comments: