Tuesday, February 26, 2013

FRIKSTAILERS-En Son De Paz (ZZK Record, 2013)

This one is kind of a mystery to me. Mainly because I'm a huge fan of these guys, I've been playing their music in my mixes consistently since 2008 and I can't wrap my head around the idea that it took them this long to put together a debut album. I mean, how is that even possible? 
Frikstailers are the most genius visionaries in the whole ZZK collective, they definitely put the best live show of all the label's artists and they have an original marketable image. Plus they crossed over world-wide with that remix they did for Major Laser and its mind blowing video, the best video ever done by any ZZK artist, I might add.
Still, while many of those other lesser-known label-mates got preferential treatment and even deluxe vinyl pressings of their music, Frikstailers were only featured in compilations, remixing other people or releasing their music as free MP3s. If it was up to me I would've forced the Córdoba-based duo into the studio and I would've have locked them up in there until they came out with a finished full length album... four years ago!
Still, better late than never, right? 
Frikstailers are still ahead of their time and making music that's unqualifiable and out of this world, so I guess, you could argue that it's never too late to release it. Maybe that's the whole reason why they got their debut postponed for so long, it was too futuristic. I don't know. 
If you've been following the ZZK releases closely, there're a couple of tracks on this one that you might already have, but the rest is all dope shit that you must acquire no matter what (I only dislike one song, the one featuring Boogat, and I don't understand the insistance of ZZK producers to have him as a guest MC, having so many much better rappers in their own country). 
Unfortunately at the moment there's no confirmation regarding possible vinyl pressing or I'd be a million times more excited when writing this. Still, I'm pretty stocked to finally see their debut out after expecting it for almost five years. 

Buy it here.

No comments: