Tuesday, October 2, 2012

TIM MAIA-Tim Maia 12'' (Luaka Bop, 2012)

And finally gringos discovered the untapped Afro-Brazilian genius of Tim Maia. David Byrne's boutique record label just put out a compilation of Maia's greatest hits (well, sort of) and it's the first official release by that legendary artist in the US.
Now shit gets a bit confusing here so bear with me. A little over a month ago they announced this release and they first put this 12'' out for sale. It includes only five songs of the fourteen featured on the full length LP. But I was a little too excited by the release and impatient so I didn't wanna wait until the LP dropped who knows when (it took them 10 years to put it together, so you know they're not in a rush). So I ordered this EP, assuming, well it's probably gonna have all the DJ-friendly, funkier tracks and that's actually all I need.
Now I'm thinking that maybe that wasn't the wisest decision. You see, the EP got back-ordered or some bullshit and it took them over a month to deliver it and by the time it finally arrived, the full LP was already available and what's even worst, the funkier songs are on the LP but not on this one!
Anyway, besides my disappointment over my lack of shopping skills and Luaka Bop's odd marketing maneuver I'm still a fan of Tim Maia even though half of his output totally bores me to death.
I remember back in the late 90's I was in Brazil talking to many local rappers and hip-hop DJs and I asked them about the main source of Brazilian funk and they all pointed to this Tim Maia guy I had never heard of before. So I went to a record store a bought a greatest hits CD of Tim Maia (I wonder if I still have that CD somewhere) and when I got home and listened I was confused and also a bit disappointed. I liked his funkier tracks in Portuguese like the classic "Chocolate" (arguably his biggest hit, for some reason not included in this Luaka Bop collection, in either format), but I didn't care at all about the slow soul jams he sings in English. Maybe that's why I misplaced that CD and lost it amongst my piles of crap during some moving.
So yeah, that's seems to be my recurrent story with Tim Maia, I want to like his shit, I get all hyped up, but then when I finally listen to it I only like half of it. Same with this release.

Get your Tim Maia on vinyl here.

No comments: