Tuesday, August 28, 2012

MEXICAN INSTITUTE OF SOUND-Político (Nacional Records, 2012)

Camilo got all serious on this one. I mainly love this guy because of his sense of humor but for his fourth official album he left the comedy aside for the most part to focus on political issues concerning his country's currently volatile political climate. 
Accusations of corruption in all society levels, electoral fraud, drug dealing cartes holding the real power and of course, the blood and violence that feed the tabloids daily. In the end he paints a gloomy picture of Mexico (just look a t the cover) very similar to the one we see repeated on the media and many recent Mexican movies. 
And it all adds up and makes me never wanna visit Mexico. Seriously. I've never been there, and I used to be kinda curious about it, but lately all you see and hear about Mexico is how if you're not in good terms with the narcos, you get your head chopped off and your dismembered body will end up hanging from a bridge like some fucking Christmas tree decorations. From every angle you get this same message: Mexico is a really fucked-up place to live. And Mexican Institute of Sound's latest album came just to reinforce all those negative preconceptions in me.   
However, Camilo is still alive after releasing this album. He hasn't been kidnapped and executed like they do to hundreds (or thousands?) of journalist who dare point fingers to the narcos. So I guess things are not THAT bad after all, right? Sure, you have a fake-ass puppet president manufactured in a telenovela assembly line and you have the CIA selling assault rifles to those paramilitary gangs of walking pieces-of-shit with tiny wieners and thick mustaches, but you can still put out some dope music calling for revolution and live to tell it.
Whatever the Mexican reality is really, it's way beyond my intellectual reach to ever comprehend it. Like I don't fully understand a lot of the stuff he's talking about on the lyrics of this album and I don't get most of the references (he quotes the Mexican national anthem on the first single--I had to google that shit) because I didn't grow up in Mexico and I think he was openly targeting the Mexican audience almost exclusively on this one. 
Lyrics left aside, the album in itself is very much the usual MIS, full of lo-fi (uncleared?) samples from his immense collection of old vinyl records blended over hard hitting drum loops. There're a couple of good dancefloor oriented moments as usual, my favorite being the title track which follows the style of his experiments for the EP Suave Patria. There're no special guests, no remixes and not a lot of surprises except for this huge one: if you buy the CD from Nacional Records you get a free flexi-disc single with the song "Es-Toy." Just make sure you get yours shipped in a cardboard box or something, because mine got ruined in shipping. Fucking mailman! 

BUY IT HERE.   

1 comment:

Em K G said...

Right now I'm showing mad love to Mexican Institute of Sound and A Band of Bitches. I'm trying to get into bands that sing in Spanish and these two are at the top of my list of of now. The Pre End of the World Soundtrack X Politico are the albums I alternate between.

Noreste Caliente is my jam.

http://bit.ly/MtMmBx