Wednesday, June 27, 2012

CHICO TRUJILLO-El Gran Pecador (Electric Cowbell/Barbés Records, 2012)

Last week I got to DJ again at a Chico Trujillo show. It was my third time in three years. First time was a La Peña, in Berkeley, second at Elbo Room, in San Francisco and this last time at New Parish in Oakland. But this was the first time I did an all vinyl set, the previous two had been digital (I live in Oakland and I don't have a car, so doing a vinyl set in another city usually gets too complicated, I can't just carry a rack of records on my backpack).
Anyway, I was playing a bunch of cumbia 45's and right before they went on stage the band's singer, a genuine old school cumbia lover and also a lover of the 7'' vinyl format, like myself, approached me at the decks and started peeking at my records and chatting me about records. For a random coincidence at that point I was playing Silbando, by Los Ribereños, remixed by GRC and that record was the first one put together in collaboration by two of my favorite New York-based labels: Electric Cowbell and Barbés Records. I was really hopping those two labels would soon join forces in other similar releases (I was, I mean, I still am, expecting a single release by Chicha Libre off their latest album) but it took a while and here it is, finally their second joint effort in a beautifully packed 7'' by none other than Chico Trujillo themselves!
That's, for me, a multiple source of reasons to celebrate. I love Chilean music and I'm not completely sure, but I haven't seen a vinyl release by a Chilean artist in ages. In fact, the only other vinyl release by a current Chilean artist I have in my collection was 1997's 12'' single by hip-hop trio Tiro de Gracia (there must be others that I don't know of, or maybe not, my Chilean readers can probably help me on that). So the news of a Chilean cumbia artist getting pressed on this format had to be huge, for myself, for other collectors of the genre and for all Chileans.
I've always been a fan of Chico Trujillo's unique brand of high-octane party-crazy cumbia-punk but I rarely played it in my sets unless I was playing for a Chilean audience because I assumed people from other nationalities wouldn't necessarily get it. Part of me is still convinced that to be able to really get Chico Trujillo's greatness you have to experience it live, be there, sweating in the middle of the cumbia moshpit. But last Saturday I was DJing my regular all-vinyl set at my regular venue, for a mix crowd, with no Chileans present, and I dropped this 7'' at the peak of the night and the club went crazy. They loved it. So yeah, finally, welcome Chico Trujillo to my DJ set. And here's for more Barbés/Cowbell releases in the near future!

 Don't even waste a second thinking about it, get this now, HERE.

1 comment:

Russ Slater said...

Hey Juan, good post as always. Just thought I'd point you to this article we published on Sounds and Colours a while ago about Santiago's recent love affair with vinyl. There's actually been quite a few Chilean artists getting released on vinyl in Chile itself, but generally small runs and for artists on the pop/indie/electro/folk end of the scale. Chico Trujillo is probably one of the first in a long while to get an international release mind.