Wednesday, April 25, 2012


I'm dead serious here: this is some next level shit. I can't remember the last time I got a CD in the mail of an artist I didn't know anything about, without any expectations at all put it in the CD player and had my head blown off in a matter of seconds.
I was planning to do some home chores and had this playing as background and that task became simply impossible to achieve. I was instantly compelled to sit down in the sofa in front of the sound system and try to absorb and digest this album in the fullest. I even went back and replayed it from the beginning. And I even had to force myself to stay put, because my instinct, after listening only to the first two tracks was to run to my computer and write a laconic review: this is the best thing ever, period.
Los Transatlánticos is a project by a Croatian-by-the-way-of-Berlin producer and his Colombian friend working from both sides of the Atlantic and finding a common ground in Afro-tropical rhythms with a reggae dub feel. The result is, simply put, the future in ñu-cumbia and electropical music. And the bass, oh, that bass, man, it's MASSIVE. I almost never write words in all caps so you know when I do is because I really mean it. This is no fucking joke, the low frequencies on this album are so dope that they made me wanna go back and re-record all my Bondi Blaster album, if only I knew how to do that. Los Transatlánticos is like the best of Bomba Estéreo, Systema Solar and Sidestepper mixed together and mashed up over some transglobal über-deep bass with a surprise middle-eastern twist.
As if that wasn't enough to get you all hyped up, the album comes with two bonus tracks, remixes they did for Colombia's Systema Solar and La 33.
Man, today is my birthday and this is, so far, the only gift I've got and let me tell you, I'm done. I don't need anything else. Thank you BBE for releasing this and for sending me a promo. Only one little request, please, pretty-please, press (at least some singles of) this on vinyl, I desperately need to play it on my sets.

The album will be released in May, 2012, keep and eye on BBE's website for news.

No comments: