Sunday, April 1, 2012

DJ DUS-Pussy Marijuana Cumbow (BSTRD Boots, 2011)

I didn't find out about this record's existence until last week when I bought it. I guess it's because of the secretive nature of bootlegs that they don't get good promotion, because I'm more than familiar with DJ Dus and with the label, in fact I'm a fan of both.
Anyway, as you know, I review any new stuff that comes out on 7'' vinyl and falls under the Latin category, particularly when they go into cumbia's territory.
This 45RPM single has on the A side a bootlegged remix of Brazilian Girls reggae tune "Pussy" which totally reminded me of a time when I used to listen to Brazilian Girls quite a lot and then I was like, what ever happened, why did I stopped? Do they still exists? And other questions like that. But the question that became the most prevalent was: Why would somebody do a remix of this particular song... now? And why would it deserve to be pressed on this format? Because, in my narrow world-view, that band and that song had been out of the popularity radar for a while, since like what, five, six year ago? I don't even remember.
What a weird choice for a remix, I thought, and then while re-watching the video on youtube I found out that the song had actually been recently appropriated by a douchebag rapper who made it the chorus of his hit "Pussy Marijuana." Now I've never heard about this David Sebastian dude before, and that's for a reason, I don't follow current radio crap, I mean rap. I stopped doing that when 50 Cents came out in 2001 with his first hit single and I never went back to commercial rap music again--specially not since Kanye West made it acceptable to go around calling yourself a rapper when you have the most wack-ass lazy flow and you make words rhyme with the same exact words, or you just don't bother rhyming at all, like this dude Sebastian did a few times on that Pussy song right before I felt compelled to turn it off halfway through because it drives me so fucking mad to see how wack is the rap teenagers nowadays listen to.
So my assumption is that DJ Dus decided to make a remix of the original Brazilian Girls tune because this idiot with a mic made the song popular again. OK, I still hate the rap version but I still love the original version a lot more, so any reason is a good reason to bring it back.
The B-Side is a lot more obvious of a choice, he simply made a remix of a Colombian classic cumbia by the king himself Andrés Landero. It's a simply remix, just adding a strong back beat and locking the BPM to ensure maximum mixability, even stretching the exit by looping the last bar. It works out great and it will surely become a mandatory visit in all my future DJ sets.

Buy it HERE.

1 comment:

bssays said...

stop hatin cuz. BOTH versions r FIRE. no music as a whole is crap...NOT EVEN RAP. but thanx because i saw that vid on youtube and could NOT find out the rappers' names no matter what. good look.