Thursday, March 15, 2012

ORQUESTA EL MACABEO-La Culpa/Se Pone Difícil (Discos de Hoy, 2011)

As a general rule, I'll pretty much buy anything that's Latin and pressed on 7'' vinyl, because if you're one of the extremely few who still releases music in that format, chances are, you're pretty cool. I didn't know anything about this one here, but following the aforementioned logic I bought it and I just finished listening to it for the first time and let me tell you, I'm not disappointed.
It's salsa, so it's not really my thing. I think I made very clear in many occasions that I don't listen to, don't spin and definitely don't dance to salsa. Still, I made an exception to that rule with Bio Ritmo and I'm pretty sure that same exception can apply to this Puerto Rican band of young salseros.
Unlike the dominant cheesy salsa of the bar bands doing covers of trait standards, these guys make all originals and they have an indie, D.I.Y. mentality and punk rock aesthetics (they also list La Polla Records among their influences). So there's definitely more of an edge here than what you listen at the average salsa dance parties. Still, both songs on this 33RPM EP are pretty slow. "La Culpa" has a delightful retro-keyboard line, but the BPM count barely reaches 70. The flip-side, starts even slower than that and then shifts abruptly to 95BPM, but the slow intro is way too long. So none of these two are dance-floor packing tracks and I'd have a hard time blending them smoothly into my dance set, but I still think I'll be giving them a spin or two during warm-up.
Anyway, just the notion that new young guys in current Puerto Rico are doing cool stuff like this and releasing it on vinyl (I later learn they have a 12'' album too) makes me feel hopeful about the revival of the format and makes me wonder if there are others like them. I need to do some research.

You can buy it directly from them here.

No comments: