Wednesday, August 10, 2011

NATION BEAT-Growing Stone (Barbés Records, 2011)

A DJ friend of mine was telling me the other night about this new girlfriend of his and how she's into country music. He mentioned something about that possibly becoming an issue if the relationship keeps developing. So far they're only in the get-to-know-each-other phase so music compatibility hasn't been a big issue yet, but knowing my friend's predilection for the funkier side of Afro-Latin beats, I imagine he has to have some tolerance, right? I don't know if I could stand a country music listener more than a week, even if she gives the best head on earth and looks like Scarlett Johansson. But I guess my friend is a lot more open minded than I am. For me, country music, in all its forms and subgenres, is deep in the forbidden zone, next to christian music and Mexican regional. I'm pretty open about everything else, but those three are strictly off limits.
So I got this album the other day and uploaded it to my ipod to listen on my way to work and all I knew about the group is that they did some innovative fusion of Brazilian music, which I tend to love in pretty much all its forms, with some other American-grown genres listed, none of which rung any bells to me. I play the first track, which in reality was the last one of the album, and ew, it was straight up country hick crap. Instinctively, I lowered the volume of my ipod, fearing some people on the train could listen to what I was listening and assume that I was some redneck racist Christian republican or something like that, because that's what I tend to assume of all people who listen to country crap (stereotypes are a real time saver!).
Anyway, the rest of the album was not really that bad, when she sings in Portuguese over Afro-Brazilian percussion it sounds actually pretty good, but every time the country shit reappeared I was forced to press skip. Call me narrow minded, prejudice, asshole, whatever you want, but I can't stand that shit and if there's a place in this world where the inner-coolness of Brazilian music meets with the utterly uncool country, I wanna be as far as possible from such place.
Now regarding my DJ friend, I guess he and his girlfriend could find some middle-ground here and live happily ever after. Or not.

No comments: