Sunday, August 28, 2011

GUN SELECTAH-Como un Perro/Villa Ghetto (FOF Music, 2011)

I'm pretty sure this is the first time a tune by Toy Selectah is pressed in 7'' vinyl, so I had to get my hands on it as soon as I saw it available online.
Gun Selectah is the merger of the aforementioned Mexican über-producer and godfather of ñu-cumbia with the Texan much hyped about dubstep wonderkid Mexicans With Guns. The later has already delivered a 7'' release earlier this year on Sones Throw so he's not really new to the format. And as you all know, I'm a sucker for everything pressed in this format, specially if it has any cumbia element, so this was a no brainer.
What I'm not really into is the whole dubstep thing. I like some of it, I like the wobble-wobble sounds, but I can't really enjoy it for more than one or two songs at the time. And that's the key problem I have with the whole genre, because of its extreme tempo (either too fast or too slow, depending on how you count it) it's hard to mix with anything else other than more dubstep and if you have an eclectic DJ set that covers from the 90 BPM range to 125 BPM as I do, then where the fuck am I gonna blend this 160/80 shit in? I can't. And I'd love to play this two tracks, but honestly I don't see myself doing so unless I play them in 33rpm, but then they are way too gloomy and pretty much undanceable. I don't know, I still haven't tried either way, I just got this the other night and I haven't had a chance to mix it live. Who knows, maybe it ends up becoming a hit in rebajada mode at 117 BPM. Anyway, support the few people that are still putting out music in this format!

Buy it HERE.

No comments: