Wednesday, February 2, 2011

FANTASMA-Fantasma City (Fire Ant Records, 2011)

About a year and a half ago I wrote a pseudo-review of Fantasma's album Ciudad Fantasma, demanding for the rest of the album that, at that point, was only available in Argentina. Back then I claimed that if it was released for the international market in digital format I'd be more than happy to purchase a legal copy of it because I simply love these guys.
Well, guess what? After all this time, Fantasma City is finally being officially released outside Argentina in CD/digital download format on the 28th of this month.
So, first of all, I'd like to thank the efforts of the record label who's believing in them and putting this awesome album out. And I'd also like to thank them for quoting me and my blog on their press release!
The thing is, between that review I wrote in July 2009 and today, a long ass time has gone by and during that period most of the tracks included in this album either leaked onto the Internet or were included in other releases. So, even though I'm happy they're getting proper release treatment, I'm disappointed that there's no new songs from one of my very favorite ñu-cumbia artists in this release. Except two, I already had them all! Two of them were given away for free through this blog back then. Four of them were on the Cabeza Netlabel release of last year. One of them was in Sonido Martines compilation for Soot, another was in the first ZZK sound comp.
In other words, if you were, like I am, already a fan of Fantasma (not to be confused with Texas' Grupo Fantasma), you probably have all or most of these tracks already (maybe not in CD quality though). Hopefully then, this new release will somehow reach everybody else, all those potential new fans who still haven't discovered the greatness of this band and that will lead to many more future  Fantasma official releases for the international market.

No comments: