Thursday, August 19, 2010

MATORRALMAN-Guateque Estelar (Nacional Records, 2010)

Once again, Nacional Records, somehow managed to surprise me with a totally unexpected release of a great band I've never heard about. I thought I had these guys figured out by now, then yesterday I got this on the mail and just by looking at the cover, I knew I was gonna like it. I was captivated and intrigued by both the artwork and the title, which at a glance made me think of Guateque All Stars, a funk band from Spain that I like quite a bit.
This morning I played it as soon as I woke up and I didn't have to go beyond the second song to know my prediction was confirmed. This, however has nothing to do with Spaniard funk, but it does has to do a lot with retro music.
Those who know me, and those who don't but follow my writing with attention, know that I'm a huge fan of old school sexploitation movies. Well, these guys apparently share this film fetish with me.
They play instrumental music that's meticulously designed to travel back in time and become the soundtrack of a Mexican low-budget spoof of Barbarella, with flying masked wrestlers shooting laser beams from their eyes and semi-nude girl-on-girl fights in the showers of an outer space penitentiary. Even better, that music is sample based (with plenty of instrumental arrangements) and DJ friendly, so you know you'll gonna be hearing some of this shit in my future sets and mixes. At times it sounds like a cleaner version of Chico Sonido's debut album, and that was like my favorite album from last year, so this one might become a competitor for the 2010 best of (which, by the way, was a pretty weak year so far). First, though, I gotta finish listening to it. I was so excited that I couldn't wait and I started writing the review right around the third song. Thanks, Nacional, you made my day.

No comments: