Wednesday, February 10, 2010


Spoiler Alert! Do not attempt to read this post if you haven't listened to the Chorisapiens megamix yet. The mix is packed with funny bits, unexpected twists and turns and obscure samples, many of these need to be explained to be fully appreciated by the average listener due to the language or cultural barriers. But I'm a firm believer that knowing the play-list in advance will ruin your mixtape listening experience. So if you haven't done so, go ahead and download it, listen to it and then you're allowed to come back and read this post.

DATA MC - Intro: Remember when I reviewed Bang Data's debut EP and I listed a whole bunch of artists who use the word Data in their names? I once was doing some research on-line and I found out there were many more than I expected. Data MC is one of them, I know nothing about this rapper except for the assumption that he must be from around here because ha has Zion I and my friend Deuce Eclipse (of Bang Data!) as guests in his 2007 album Data Invasion. I didn't listen to the album, I just downloaded the intro and after a couple of minor twitches it became my intro.

KOXMOZ - Pura Coincidencia: I am fortunate enough to have many rappers dropping my name on their tracks. Sometimes it's insulting me, like in Grammy-winners Sindicato Argentino del Hip Hop's "Piénsalo" (which I used in all my previous mixes), some other times is giving me props, like in this track by my homies Koxmoz. In between the repetition of my name you can also hear a voice saying "quién és?" That's from Koxmoz's MC Apolo Novax in a track he recorded with myself back when I used to rap, called "Lección #1".

CLEMENTE - Concurso de Hinchadas Internacionales: This is an Argentine comedy record of 1982. Clemente was a TV puppet show that had its peak of popularity during the Soccer World Cup and it made fun of each countries' fans based on very politically incorrect xenophobic stereotypes... by today PC standards. But back them we were all kids and we didn't care if they depicted Africans as having a bone in their hair. It was hilarious even for those who, like myself, never gave a rat's ass about soccer.    

DR. TANGALANGA - Albañil Felipe: I love the Beastie Boys. Back in the mid-nineties they released a compilation of old stuff aptly named Some Old Bullshit that blew my mind. It included a track called "Cooky Puss" that was one of their first attempts at hip-hop, it was just a looped track with these guys prank-calling people on the phone, something we used to do a lot back then. So as a tribute to that early Beasties track I wanted to mix some prank-dialing and I found this old tape by Argentina's prank-master comedian Tangalanga.

BLACK MANDINGO - Cumbia del Heavybass: Originally I wanted to do a neo-cumbia-free mix, mixing exclusively old-school breaks of traditional cumbia and Latin funk, but then I found this track and it fitted so well that it almost changed completely the direction of the mix. I mashed it up with M.I.A. and I was scared this might be too much of a cliche by now... for about a month I sat on it, trying to decide if I should keep it or go back and start it all over again, but I ended up keeping it and I think it worked out pretty well. (Download it free here!).

LA MALA RODRIGUEZ - Tambalea: La Mala became kind of like a common place in Spanish rap. She's the one rapper that every sucker who doesn't listen to rap knows about. Same thing happened to Orishas. They are that type of crossover-friendly-Mestizo-fusion-rappers that the Latin-Alt listeners can have on their IPods without the fear of being "ghetto." Anyhow, she was hella dope back in the 90's when those suckers didn't know about her. This is one of the first cuts of her debut album, when she was still getting props from the hip-hop underground. I wonder if there's one female rapper I haven't had a crush on at one point in my life...

ORQUESTA RIVERSIDE - En Casa Del Trompo No Bailes: A great funky break from this 70's Cuban band found on the Revolucion! compilation. Lately I've been listening to a lot more funk and old school and I wanted to include a lot more of this in Chorisapiens. I don't know shit about this band but the break was pretty fun to play with. One day I'll do a mix that's just funky breaks... Full album review here.

PUBLIC ENEMY - Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos: Public Enemy's best album is also one of the top-10 most influential hip-hop records of all time and I used to listen to it a lot, and I mean a LOT. That style of sample-based production with infinite layers of crap on top of each other, that made the Bomb Squad legendary, became the dominant style of the golden era of sampled music (1988-1992, before they started cracking down on copy-right infringement) and you can obviously tell that's a huge influence in my megamixes that sometimes seem stuck in 1989... and that's the point. In this case I used a live intro of a PE concert over a cheesy cumbia remix of some wanker called Miguel Angel along with a sample from Wu-Tang's GZA.

ANA TIJOUX - La Nueva Condena: Talk about having a crush on a female rapper... Anita has been part of all my megamixes so far, and she remains as one of the only constants. As you must know by now, her second solo album, 1977, will be released soon by Nacional Records and she's coming in March to tour the US for the first time (I can't wait!). Maybe that's why I was so excited that I included her twice in this mix, once with this, her own song, and later with her collaboration on another Nacional Records' artist, Latin Bitman

LOS MIRLOS - La Danza De Los Mirlos: This was my first knowledge of Peruvian cumbia, but I actually didn't know they were Peruvian until a lot later. They were always very popular in Buenos Aires outskirts so I assumed they were local. I used the bass line from "Cumbia de los Pajaritos" which is a cover of this same song by Grupo Fantasma, but I left the birds from Los Mirlos on top. That part it's a big ol' mess with five tracks playing at once, but that's what happens when I have a lot of free time in my hands, I start working on the same 20 seconds adding more layer of crap until I have to stop myself.

EL REMOLON - Bolivia: I abused so much the Zizek releases in my previous mixes, that I made a point of not playing any here but I ended up using a track by one of my favorite producers, El Remolón, mashed-up with the chorus of "Drop It Low Girl" by Ester Dean and Chris Brown. In the end, I also used a track from the always amazing Frikstailers but not one released by Zizek.   

SONIDO LA CHANGA - Cumbia Loca: I'm friend with this Mexican dude who claims to be the godson of Sonido La Changa, one of the maximum pioneers of Mexican cumbia sonidera. I don't know if it's true or he just smokes too much pot, but the thing is, he passed me some Changa tracks including this one that blended perfectly with El Remolón and it was easy to mash up with some Eric Sermon's acapellas. 

LOS FABULOSOS CADILLACS - Matador: I've been trying to use this break for a long long time and I was finally able to blend it in here... and nobody noticed it. Los Fabulosos Cadillacs is a ska/latin rock/party band from Argentina that's very well known all over the continent, in part thanks to this 1994 humongous hit. It's a great song with amazing Brazilian batucada percussion (some say stolen from Olodum) but unfortunately, in the US it became one of the biggest cliches of Latin music! It's sort of like the flagship of the whole rock-en-Español movement from the late nineties to these days and it's the song you can drop at any dull moment of any Latin party and it will bring the crowd back up in an instant. It's beyond my comprehension why there are not ten million remixes of this song all over the internet! Maybe because the original is so good that nobody dares touching it? Hey, Nacional Records, how about a Cadillac's remixes album?

GARDEL & VICTOR - Mi Buenos Aires Querido: OK, brace yourselves for the first unexpected twist of Chorisapiens. Everybody knows Carlos Gardel, right? The biggest figure in tango's history. Well, how about a duet with Victor Díaz? This guy sells flowers on the street in downtown Buenos Aires, along with his own bootlegged CD's of himself singing with world famous stars like Michael Jackson, The Beatles and yes Gardel... over cumbia and reggaetón beats! Yikes! Yup, it's fucking insane. This dude took the whole mash-up idea to a new level, mixing it with karaoke. I only used the intro of his reggaetón cover/mash-up of Gardel because the rest is hilarious but it's absolute garbage. I was about to use his version of "Thriller" too (titled "Triller") where The King of Pop is forced to share the microphone with a kid who I can only assume is Victor's son... but maybe that would've been too much. Next time you're doing whip-its and drinking cough syrup with your junkie friends, remember to drop this one and it will amuse them for sure.

DJ RAFF - Latino & Proud: I talk way too much about two Chilean artists on this blog, one is, of course, Anita Tijoux, the other one is DJ Raff. He appears three times in Chorisapien, this one being the most obvious one. This is a track from his amazing Raffolution CD blended with Professor Angel Dust's "Horny Mambo" in the beginning and with Mexican Dubwiser's remix of Grupo Mojado's "Tonta" in the end. And on top of that you have me scratching the acapella of Beastie Boys' classic "Paul Revere".

SABO - Otra Noche: A great DJ/Producer from New York City that I have discovered thanks to the Bersa Discos Tormenta Tropical parties where he was guest DJ more than once. He has also done some cumbia tracks for Bersa recently, but I used two of his older remixes on this set. This one where he samples Don Omar, and another when where he samples Pitbull, two artist that by themselves I hate but I don't mind listening to them in these mixes.

RA - Tente (El Matador Rockers): Ra is a new rapper from the Matador Rockers crew in, Barcelona, Spain, and they are part of the Del Palo family, under the guidance of my very favorite hip-hop producer Griffi. Ra's rap is nothing out of the average but the electro-new-school beats are insane. Here I blended it up with Latin Bitman and LeFreak Selector from the Cucumelo remix comp. The best thing about it, Ra's debut album, Freedom is free. Download it here.

TROUBLE FUNK - Pump Me Up: In Mersaholic I used Sugarhill Gang's "Apache" and I loved the results so for this one I decided to use another classic old-school joint with killer percussion and the legendary "Pump pum pum pump me up!" I mashed it up with a Fort Knox Five (my favorite contemporary funk artists) remix of a Brazilian song, "Salvador Diaspora." I do have the vinyl for the Fort Knox Five track, but I really wish I had the actual vinyl for the Trouble Funk one with that amazing cover, I'd put it on a frame.

LOS DESTELLOS - Noche De Garúa: I used this exact same sample as an intro in my remix of El Himno Del Cucumelo and I liked it so much I hd to use it again. I found it on one of my favorite blogs, Super Sonido! A classic Peruvian cumbia from the 60's with an announcer saying "And now my friends... something groovy for you!" Thanks to Sonido Franko of Super Sonido for introducing me to so much old (new for me) music on a regular basis.

LOU PEREZ - Aflo Hustle: I don't know if it should actually be Afro and it's a typo of, where I downloaded this comp. This was another unexpected change in the mix. So far all my megamixes were done in a constant BPM, increasing gradually, with no big jumps at all, here I had that intro of "El Guapo" by Los Diablos Rojos that was taking me back to the 105 BPM I was coming from, but by mistake I dropped this one that was 125 BPM and it  worked out  pretty well so I decided to keep it and make the abrupt jump to hiperspace.

SUMO - Los Viejos Vinagre: This short little bit of a funk/rock breakdown will be only appreciated by the Argentine listeners because unlike most other Argentine rock bands from the 80's, Sumo didn't have any significant success abroad (maybe just in Chile and Uruguay). Sumo was arguably the most influential rock band of its generation, they started as a South American copy of Joy Division and The Clash and then branched out into a lot other music genres before their leader, an enigmatic Italian immigrant who sung in English passed away. This was one of their more poppy hits, I definitely prefer their reggae and punk songs, there's a remix of it too, but's pretty wack, mainly because they didn't use that powerful breakdown.

PALENKE SOULTRIBE - No Voy A Morir: I mentioned these guys many times in this blog, they are my Colombian buddies from LA mixing cumbia and vallenato with techno and house.  Good stuff, you totally gotta check 'em out. I'm excited because they're coming to San Francisco for the first time soon and I'll finally be able to see them live, I hear they have a pretty impressive show. Anyway, I basically fucked up their track a lot before mixing it. I mashed up some cumbia villera hype vocals first and then this horrendous acapella by Pitbull. I was actually looking for another acapella but I found this one almost by accident and it fitted perfectly the structure of the beat and then I was all like, shall I leave it? I mean, I fucking hate this douchebag and all he represents and people are gonna think that I totally sold out by playing such a commercial summer-hit that's gonna automatically date my mix but what the hell, it sounds good together with Palenke so I decided to keep it. 

YOLANDA BE COOL - Afro Nuts  (Douster Remix): Here's another appearance by a Zizek star. This song came out at the end of last year and I actually played for the first time in public at a New Years Eve party, right after the midnight countdown. It's a great party song in its original form and in all it's various remixes and I love them all. I think it's the first candidate for the best of 2010 top-11. Oh, and I mashed it up with another M.I.A. vocal track. 

ELECTROTRIBAL - Electro Cumbia: It's a lot more house than electro cumbia, but hey, they probably named it after the band. I talked about these Venezuelan guys before on this blog and we even gave away some tracks I think. Here I used a remix done by Erisch Ensastigue, whoever that is... which I chose because it has that long-ass breakdown that leads into a Mexican sonidero style of the same song, "La Cumbia Cienaguera." I also added some rap and cumbia villera vocals on top at the end and that announcer...

SABOR SONIDERO - Luz De Mar:  Now this is the real gem and my favorite moment of the whole megamix, hidden right before the end. I had the track with that long breakdown I was talking about before and I was like, wow, it would be ideal if I had some sonidero MC talking shit. I went online looking for live sonidero recordings and this was the first one I found and the first track I hear has this dude... it was irresistible! It made me laugh my ass off, I played it like twenty times back to back in disbelief, did I really hear him saying that?! It's so over the top ridiculous! Oh my god, I have to use it! He's actually saying "hey everybody, say hi to the TV cameras that are there in the back, wave your hands! Please somebody point out where there is someone with faggot face so he can be filmed by the video camera (...) here's one that looks like a total queer with his long curly hair..." Oh yeah baby! I've been told that the cumbia sonidera scene in Puebla, Mexico is surprisingly gay friendly and I've seen some videos of gay guys dancing cumbias together at those parties, so I don't really know if the announcer is being ironic (I'd hope!) or he's just totally oblivious about his homophobic remarks (I'd guess...). Anyway, I actually laugh so hard that it made me cry.

NOTE: Keep in mind this is only a partial track list, focused on the highlights. If you want the complete list you gotta check my channel.

1 comment:

Ken said...

Oye me. Nice mix bro. Listened to it on a cool breezy morning on my way to South Beach. Best Cumbia mix of 2010. Nice effects and kick ass selection. Data!!!!!