Tuesday, February 9, 2010


So this will be my first megamix of 2010. It was planned to be the fourth of 2009, I actually started it in November but had some technical difficulties and I had to leave it on hold for a while until I could recently pick up back up and finish it. 
Once again, the concept and format are pretty much the same of my previous mixes, meaning it's about 30 minutes of breaks and bits from over 50 different songs crammed up together in intricate ways. Cumbia is still there, linking the mix together, but there's far less cumbia than in Mersaholic, and a lot more old school Latin funk. Hip-hop is always present, but this time maybe in more evident ways, with the mashing-up of many rap acapellas over the sampled beats. There is also some Brazilian funk, some classic Colombian cumbia and even some house, and of course plenty of funny surprises for the attentive listeners.
Maybe the biggest difference between this one and my previous megamixes is that I did a lot more fast straight-up cuts and sudden changes, while before I always tried to blend it all together and keep it flowing. So be ready for the unexpected...
Another great difference is that in this mix, for the first time, I didn't use any Toy Selectah, Bomba Estereo or M.I.S. tracks and went instead for some more obscure selections. There are some constants. of course, like El Remolón and Anita Tijoux, who always seem to find a way to make it into my messy mixes.

The title, Chorisapiens, is another made-up word, continuing with the tradition of Linyerismo and Mersaholic, and as you may already infer from the art, it has to do with chorizos. Chorizos (as well as salami and all sorts of sausages) are a big part of my daily diet, that's where I get my protein from. I remember as a kid being at my grandfather's farm, looking at this farmers making chorizos with the rests of the pork meat and skin, after the hams and all the other usable parts were taken. Pretty gross, yeah... but yummy! In a way my mixes are sort of like chorizos then, because they are made of little bits and pieces of discarded music, some good old songs, but also, a lot of otherwise unlistenable trash.
That could be a good reason to name the mix Chorisapiens, but in reality, the story is quite different. You see, when I started getting involved in the Buenos Aires hip-hop scene back in the mid-nineties there was this guy called DJ Hollywood. Nope, not the old-school New York DJing pioneer. This was an old b-boy from my neighborhood, Caballito, who used to teach the newcomers in the arts of hip-hop. Whenever a new wanna-be b-boy or MC (as myself) would approach him, he would take him under his wing, and pass him his knowledge. 
DJ Hollywood had a set of Technics turntables and a pile of old-school records, in his one-room apartment he shared with his mom and dog. I had never seen a DJ with a home set-up like that before. He wasn't much of a skillful DJ, to tell the truth, but he used to make this mixtapes for his student b-boys so they had some music to practice with at home. Those legendary cassette tapes were packed with classic electro and early 80's rap and at the end he would come up dropping knowledge and giving advice to the break-dancers, "don't use drugs!"
Later in 2000, things were hard for Holly (as we called him) and he had to sell his equipment and most of his records. On a stolen supermarket shopping cart he built a "choripán" cart and went out to sell at the park were b-boys used to practice, two blocks from my house (the park that's reproduced on the mix cover). Choripán, is basically just a chorizo sandwich, and it's the street food of choice in Argentina, pretty much like the Mexican tacos. They're usually cheap, greasy, and bad for your body, but delicious.
So this is just me being nostalgic about the old times break-dancing at the park, learning new moves from Holly and eating his choripanes. I'll never forget about the time I told Holly that I had been to New York and seen KRS-One live at a block party and he almost started crying. Even though I assume he wouldn't approve of me spinning cumbia, this is my sort of humble tribute to my master.

No comments: