Wednesday, August 5, 2009

DIGGING: Chico Che & La Crisis - 1986

After last weeks triumphal experience, I went digging yesterday for old vinyls again and I'm really happy about it. Not only about my incredible multiple finds, but also about the fact that I bought actual records. You see, since I became a laptop DJ three years ago, I've been downloading music like crazy, trolling through blogs, and music-sharing programs and my favorite music store, emusic.com and as a result of this, vinyl became kind of obsolete. Recently, I've reunited with my original love for vinyl collecting, not so much for playing at my parties but more for looking for obscure breaks to sample. I still don't know if I wanna start "producing" tracks or just use those samples within my mixtapes like I've done with the Linyerismo series. Well see...
Anyway, what I love about vinyl digging is that sometimes you don't know what the fuck you're buying. It's not like when you download a song and you can listen to it first or you just download it anyway and if you don't like it you just delete it. Digging for vinyl is a whole mysterious art in itself. Sometimes you look at the cover of the album and you can't figure out what the fuck it is and the only way to find out is to purchase it, take it home and listen to it.
Among the many rarities I found digging yesterday there was this album by Mexican cumbia artist Chico Che whom I've never heard of before. I bet some Mexican readers are a lot more familiar with him than I am. The thing I love the most about my blog is that I can totally expose my absolute ignorance about some topics, something that I'm not allowed to do when I write professionally for other magazines or websites. Here I feel comfortable saying I have no fucking idea who this guy is. So if you happen to know more, please share the data (wink, wink) because I wasn't able to find much on the web.
Of course what struck me first of this album was the absolutely ridiculous cover photo. Can you fucking believe that shit? That's fucking insane! This bus-driver-looking guy is actually smelling his own armpit, jeez! The Mexican mustache, the haircut, those glasses! So intriguing! Then there was the name, Chico Che. I found that Mexicans love nicknames that start with "Ch" (like all the characters in Chespirito) but Che is more of an Argentinian slang. Double intriguing! With that name, in my imagination he was halfway between my friend and master digger Chico Sonido and Chilean cumbia superstar Chico Trujillo. And I wasn't too far! And then to top it all, the title: Las Playas Nudistas (The Nudist Beaches). How could anybody resist buying this?
The album single is a hilarious cumbia about going to nudist beaches to check out the girls and that took me to a completely unexpected new level of interpretation. You see, I'm sort of a nudist myself when it comes to beaches (if you live in San Francisco you know where to find me on warm weekends if you ever wanted to see me naked) and the one thing that bugs me the most about nudist beaches over here is the overabundance of fully-dressed Mexicans just walking around looking at the naked women. Not that they bother me directly but they have a negative effect on the female concurrence to the beach. I had female friends of mine who told me "I'd happily go to the nudist beach if it wasn't for the Mexicans staring at you". And I want to see more titties around so you Mexicans stop lurking, get naked or get the fuck out!
So this cumbia by Chico Che came to confirm an actual recurrent behavior that seems to be quite common among people who look exactly like Chico Che and his band, La Crisis, and it wasn't an ignorant racist stereotype of mine. Hence, here's are my questions for you my beloved Mexican readers: 1) Can you tell me more about this character Chico Che? and 2) Why don't you get naked when you go to nudist beaches?

Download: Chico Che - Las Playas De Nudistas

4 comments:

Gianko said...

I think Chico Che is short for Francisco José...

Downloading...

Charo Nieto said...

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chico_Che

Durante los setenta y parte de los ochenta, Chico Che y su grupo "La crisis" fueron los reyes de los bailes populares en México, cuando el sonido Tropical era la moda (antes de la banda y el horrendo pasito duranguense).
Chico Che era una especie de Hippie tropical a la mexicana. Super alivianado, además de un gran fumador de mota (marihuana), de hecho tiene una canción que así se llama "La mata de mota".
Muchas de sus canciones son humoristicas y sabrosonas para bailar, como el caso de "Las playas..." Sin embargo, tambien tiene covers(en su estilo) de rolas de Violeta Parra (Gracias a la vida), Atahualpa Yupanqui (Pobrecito mi Cigarro) y tambien muchas canciones del repertorio tradicional cubano. En México es una figura muy querida.

Ahora, sobre lo de los nudistas fisgones de Sn. Francisco...no tengo ni la menor idea.
SALUDOS!!!

Charo Nieto said...

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chico_Che

Durante los setenta y parte de los ochenta, Chico Che y su grupo "La crisis" fueron los reyes de los bailes populares en México, cuando el sonido Tropical era la moda (antes de la banda y el horrendo pasito duranguense).
Chico Che era una especie de Hippie tropical a la mexicana. Super alivianado, además de un gran fumador de mota (marihuana), de hecho tiene una canción que así se llama "La mata de mota".
Muchas de sus canciones son humoristicas y sabrosonas para bailar, como el caso de "Las playas..." Sin embargo, tambien tiene covers(en su estilo) de rolas de Violeta Parra (Gracias a la vida), Atahualpa Yupanqui (Pobrecito mi Cigarro) y tambien muchas canciones del repertorio tradicional cubano. En México es una figura muy querida.

Ahora, sobre lo de los nudistas fisgones de Sn. Francisco...no tengo ni la menor idea.
SALUDOS!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I grew up listening to chico che, I am a native of tabasco mexico where he became famous and where most of his songs were written. I know everything about the guy my dad played him non stop around the house and at our parties, I know and like alot of diferent music and I have never heard anything come close to his style, he is in my humble opinion a genious way way ahead of his time.
If you have any question about him or any of his songs let me know i will be happy to recommend and share. and by the way this wasnt even close to his best songs.
email me anytime
shriner_69@yahoo.com
shriner_69@hotmail.com