Saturday, April 5, 2008


I'm totally digging this one and I'm not even that much into turntablism anymore. I mean I used to be one of those that thought turntablism was the music of the future, you know, back in like '99 when all those first albums of the genre started to come out. But then I realized it was just DJ's showing off skills for other DJ's while it was impossible to appreciate by the average dude listener. It was too abstract.
When I bought DJ Raff's first solo album yesterday here, I was scared I was gonna have that same problem I had when I tried to force myself to like Kid Koala's first record. However, I found a very eclectic collection of tracks perfectly balanced between the mandatory scratch show-off and catchy melodies and beats.
For those of you who are not familiar with this type of shit, well this is music recycling at it's best. You'll find bits and pieces of a lot of recognizable sounds mixed together in unpredictable ways. Even if you are absolutely unable to tell superb scratching techniques from amateur scratch, you can still fully enjoy this album from beginning to end, guaranteed. If you enjoyed Bitman & Roban releases (and I know I did), this is a must, it's even better.
Oh, and I almost forgot that you people don't know shit about the amazing Chilean music scene and I need to introduce this guy, even though he's like the best DJ in South America. Well, all you need to know is that DJ Raff was the DJ from the first Chilean rap group to release a serious album, La Pozze Latina, and from then on he's been sharing his scratches with all the luminaries of the genre like Tiro De Gracia and Makiza, and more recently he collaborated on Musatfa Yoda's amazing second solo album. He's also a very nice guy.

No comments: